Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Confusing Messengers


We have: Windows Live Messenger, Windows Messenger, MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger Service. Confused?
Well, I don't blame you -I have to stop and think all the time. Here we go...

A rose by any other name.
Windows Live Messenger, Windows Messenger, MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger Service are, in fact, four names for three applications. Three apps that do two different things. Of which, I submit, only one you really want. Here's why...

If you're running XP Windows Live Messenger will do it all.

So, uninstall the lot except Windows Live Messenger. You don't need them. If you are running older versions of Windows visit 'Ask Leo' -why should I reinvent the wheel?

Better yet, uninstall the lot and switch to Yahoo Instant Messenger for all instant messaging.

Having said that, I use Windows Live Messenger quite happily. But then, I'm running XP Pro SP3. Yep, that's right, SP3. It's running very sweetly and I have had no problems, in spite of the bad rep in many forums. So is every machine I've installed it on to date.

Happy Days,
John

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post comments related to the subject or topic in the main post. Do not use foul or bad language or swearing, suggestive of obnoxious language. All posts failing to observe this rule will be instantly deleted. Otherwise, please agree, disagree, debate, argue, express your opinions as freely as you wish. Thank you.